Prevailing wage

Hourly Wage According to Trade ¦ Fringe Benefits ¦ Union Contracts

Construction industry employees who work on publically funded or assisted projects are entitled to the “prevailing wage rates” in the area where the work is taking place. The New York State Department of Labor and New York City Office of the Comptroller have established prevailing wage rates based on category of employment within New York Counties and these are periodically updated.

New York City and State prevailing wage schedules require employers to pay the base prevailing wage, an additional amount for benefits, overtime rates, shift differentials and double-time work. Employers who win publically funded or assisted projects and their subcontractors who do not pay their employees the required prevailing wages, may be held liable for the unpaid wages.

Fringe Benefits if you are Not a Union Member

If you are working on a prevailing wage job and you are not a union member, the law requires that the fringe benefit contributions that would be made to the union for union workers have to be paid to the non-union employee in cash.

Have You Been Denied Prevailing Wage?

If you believe your employer owes you unpaid prevailing wages, an experienced employment law attorney can help. The attorneys at the Law Offices of William Cafaro have resolved many unpaid prevailing wage lawsuits on behalf of individuals and large classes of employees who were denied their prevailing wages.

Contact a New York Employment Law Attorney

Contact the Law Offices of William Cafaro (212) 583-7400 to arrange an appointment to discuss your potential wage claim. There is no cost or obligation for an attorney to review your situation, nor will you pay any attorney fees unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for you.

Law Offices of William Cafaro


108 West 39th Street
Suite 602
New York, NY, 10018


Fax: (212) 583-7401

Follow Us


Our response to an e-mail inquiry cannot create an attorney-client relationship or authorize us to do any work on your case.